Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Eyes on Him

I started this blog last year because a man I highly respect said that all political conservatives should blog.  Being the political creature that I am, I thought, "Well, I don't know much, but I am fairly good at forming and expressing an opinion."  Little did I know that our family would face a tragedy this summer that would rock us to our core.  I haven't felt impressed to publicly write about what we have gone through until now, and I am sure that this will come in waves.  Because we are so close to what I think is a very important election, you will probably see a few posts about politics, but in light of what our family has been through, things that once seemed so important have had to take a back seat.  Instead of this being just a political blog, it will, and already has been, more of a mixture.  I pray that it is God-inspired.  If you read something you take issue with, please let me know.  I am not perfect.  I am just a wife and a mom trying to walk a path that no parent should have to walk while keeping my eyes on a Heavenly Father who has the best interest of His children at heart.



I haven't really been drawn to the blogging world lately, for a myriad of reasons, but today I have been impressed to write a few things down.



As most of you know, on May 21, 2012, we lost our seventeen-year-old son, Brad.  He was our first child.  He was smart, funny, and kind.  He was rowdy, rambunctious, and always the first to try something, especially if it involved a hint of danger.  He had an impish little grin that followed him into his teenage years.  He kept us on our toes.  He had that teenage boy disease that so many boys do, invincibility.  Brad had just finished the 11th grade.  He was enjoying working with his dad for the summer.  He had plans for work and continuing his education, and all too abruptly, those plans came to an end.  The manner is which Brad died was preventable, making this all the more devastating for his family.  For those of you who don't know the details, we have been very open in person, but I won't put them here unless I know it is time because the issues are sensitive, and there are teenagers who might read this.  I would rather their parents talk to them about those issues.  I respect a parent's right to inform their children about certain things in their own time.  



It would take days to tell you everything that I have learned and am still learning.  My main purpose here tonight is to tell you that in the midst of the darkness, in the bottom of the pit, in the wee hours of the morning, when you think you can't take it anymore, there is a God who loves you.  There is a God who comforts.  There is a God who takes ashes and turns them into beauty.  In no way am I saying that I don't struggle.  Like any parent who has traveled this road, I thought that this was a bad dream, but as the days became weeks, I began to realize that I was very much awake and would have to figure out how to traverse the path we call grief while still caring for a family who very much needed me.  I have been angry. I have been overwhelmed with sadness.  I have questioned God.  I have had moments where breathing was all I could do, and even that seemed to be too much to ask.  I still have moments where I feel like I'm going under, but the God who calms the seas has caught me every time, and I know if I keep my eyes on Him, He will continue to do so.  Through these moments, we have had family and friends who have been faithful to be here when we needed them, they have prayed fervently on our behalf, they have mourned with us.  They have fed us and mowed our grass. We are putting one foot in front of the other because of the goodness of God and the prayers of His people.  



I have to take a moment to publicly thank the people who helped make Brad's funeral a service to honor our King.  That includes the musicians, our Pastors, the congregation, and all of the people who were behind the scenes.  Hundreds of people surrounded us on May 24, 2012, to honor our Savior, and to tell Satan that he was not welcome in that sanctuary or around our family.  The fiery darts that he was throwing at our family on that day were intercepted and deflected by the people of God who stood in the gap when we were at our weakest.  We love each and every one of you! I have included the link to Brad's funeral service for those of you who couldn't be there.  I have only watched it once.  It is just too fresh, but I can assure you that the worship and the Word was God-breathed and amazing.  The Lord heard the cries of His people, and He answered.   http://www.crossgates.tv/portfolio/item/brad-scoggins



I have so much running around in my head that wants to get out, but there will be time for that.  My charge to you tonight is to love the people around you with all you have.  Life is but a vapor.  If you are up to your neck in the waves, and you feel like you are drowning, call on the One who created and calms the seas.  He listens.  He loves you.  He answers.  Call on His people.  Matthew 18:20 says, "For where two or three are gathered in my name, there I am among them."  Praise!  Praise!  Praise!  There is nothing that drives the devil crazier than when we praise God even when we don't feel like praising.  Psalm 42:11 says, “Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God."  There are days that I just can't read, but I can listen to music.  I had someone tell me that I wouldn't be able to sing for a while, but for some reason, God has preserved my voice.  It might not always be beautiful, but it is there.  Finally, when you have done all you know to do, stand.  Ephesians 6:13 tells us, "Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm."  That has been my toughest challenge.  When I have done all I know to do, and I still feel that empty hole in my chest, I tell God, "I am standing here.  Do you see me?"  I know He does, but sometimes, I ask anyway.  Hebrews 12:2 is my focus verse.  "Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."  Eyes on Him.  That's what this is about.  That's really what every day, every good thing, and every trial should be about.  Eyes on the One who endured the cross, so I can one day see my son again.  Eyes on the One who knew the day that Brad would come home to Him, and that our family would change forever.  Eyes on the only One who can save, comfort, and heal.  Eyes on the One who has forever conquered the grave!  Here are the words to one of my favorite songs.  Someday soon, we will sing this in His presence.  I, for one, can't wait!





  1. “Man of Sorrows!” what a name
    For the Son of God, who came
    Ruined sinners to reclaim.
    Hallelujah! What a Savior!
  2. Bearing shame and scoffing rude,
    In my place condemned He stood;
    Sealed my pardon with His blood.
    Hallelujah! What a Savior!
  3. Guilty, vile, and helpless we;
    Spotless Lamb of God was He;
    “Full atonement!” can it be?
    Hallelujah! What a Savior!
  4. Lifted up was He to die;
    “It is finished!” was His cry;
    Now in Heav’n exalted high.
    Hallelujah! What a Savior!
  5. When He comes, our glorious King,
    All His ransomed home to bring,
    Then anew His song we’ll sing:
    Hallelujah! What a Savior!
  6. -Philip Bliss










14 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I cant wait to read what all God leads you to write here!

    BTW....LOVE that picture!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear friend! That might be my favorite picture of him. Silly boy! I am not much of a writer, but it is time. God is finally pushing me out of my box. I am very much a private griever, but that doesn't help anyone else. Prayers appreciated. You never know what I will say next. I told out Pastor if he was going to let me talk we might need a seven second delay on the broadcast. ;)

      Delete
  2. wow, ive passed you and seen you so many times around church and always wanted to stop and ask you "how do you do it!?" watching Twila lose a child and then watching as you went through it has amazed me beyond imagination. Such strong women and when i saw you get back on that stage to praise Jesus, my heart sank and i felt like such a selfish person because you can stand up there still focused on the prize while my,what i now view as such tiny blips on the radar, were keeping me bogged down and feeling like i was just going theough way too much. you are such an inspiration to me, as well as others, i would assume!! i love this post and want to thank you for allowing me the chance to find out HOW you are so strong! i pray that i someday can be as strong as you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW Kristin, you are such an amazing person. I am so blessed to call you friend. I am looking forward to reading your inspirational writings. To GOD be the Glory!!!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Jeannie. It is just God. Period. We all grieve differently. There is not a right or wrong way. You see the wrapped package on Sundays, but you haven't seen the unravelled package at 2AM when insomnia hits! We are just walking this out as best we know how. It is uncharted territory. Your blips on the radar are just as important to Him as our darkest days. He loves us and cares about us all. When we are at our weakest, He has a chance to show His strength. We have a long way to go, but we will go!

      Shannon, thank you. Thank you for your encouragement and for being my friend. This one was a huge step out for me.

      Delete
  3. Many things I could say here, but I think we've covered many. :) "Man of Sorrows" is my all-time favorite hymn. It pretty much says it all, I think, and the last stanza is the best...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorites! Sang it two Sundays after Julianne was diagnosed with diabetes. May 2, 2010, I was having a mommy pity party, and He reminded me that morning that He knew my sorrow. He knew our struggle. Kind of a gentle wake up call. Waiting on that last verse with baited breath!

      Delete
  4. Kristen, Your words are deeply moving. Thank you for sharing your heart. I've found myself so much more aware of the people that I love around me since May 21st and my interactment with them. My heart goes out to you in your grief, and also in gratitude for your willingnes to share your journey so sincerely and beautifully. Praying for many blessings on you and your precious family.

    Trish Blacksher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet friend! We treasure our Hope family. We know that they are holding us up in prayer. I am thankful for what Hope and the people of Hope mean to my mom. Brad's service was what I think Heaven will look like. People from all churches giving glory to the One and only God. It will cross all barriers. The Hope family was a huge part of that day. A true picture of what the church is.

      Delete
  5. Thank you! I love you more than you know. You know your friends are really good when they don't bat an eyelash at their disheveled, refusing to wear make-up friend! I am so thankful for Terry and his unfailing support of Spencer. We are super blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your attitude and outlook is amazing. My sister died suddenly when she was 18, I was 19... It was devestating. I thought God was mad at me for years... and I was mad at Him. We've made up thankfully, but it took a while!!

    I just wanted to say that your attitude and your strength is SUPERNATURAL. I am amazed at the strength He has given you, and so soon. Thank you for blessing me with these beautiful words of hope.
    Lots of people had lots to say after her funeral, nothing comforted me at the time. The only words that ever brought healing (years later), was Isaiah 57:1-2. I especially like the NLT version. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Ellie, thank you! The myriad of emotions that we still experience is like a roller coaster. You have a special outlook on this that only a sibling can have. As a mom, that is my first concern. My other two children are walking this road too. They seem to be doing well, but the teenage years are hard without this type of tragedy. Supernatural is the only way to describe God's grace in our lives the last few months. I love the verse you referenced! You have encouraged me today!

      Delete
  7. I found your blog through KTElltt. You do not know me. But when I heard of your family's loss, my heart ached for you and I immediately stopped and prayed. I have thought of your family many times since, and have not asked KT about it. I do not know what to ask or say. I do not know if it is the "right time." So when I think of it, I stop and pray again. And again.
    Your blog is deeply personal and uplifting. When I hear of loss like this, and think of how I would handle it, I often think I just could not do it. That would be the tipping point. But then someone like you reminds me that yes I can... actually yes GOD CAN and WILL get me through it.
    I know soon I will face losing loved ones from long fought battles. You inspire me. If you could get through this and still proclaim the gospel, then I can too.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharla. I have said many times that the prayers of people we don't even know are keeping us going. Eight years ago, a friend of ours lost their young daughter. I was talking to a close friend about it, and my exact statement to her was, "I couldn't go through that." Her response was, "Yes, you could." She had no way of knowing then that we would lose a child, but she went on to say that if we did we would grieve, we would hurt, but we would lean on Him, and He would help us heal. Every day is different, and we take each day as it comes, but we know that He has given us a future and a hope. We will all lose loved ones unless Jesus comes back (sometimes I wish He would get on my time schedule). Until then, His grace is sufficient, even when we don't feel like it is. Please continue to pray for us. We covet those prayers. I am sure Katie would be fine with you talking to her. People around us sometimes don't know what to say, but we don't expect them to. This is hard on everyone. We have been surrounded with people who don't always know what to say but love us anyway, and that's enough.

      Delete